Thursday, May 2, 2013

Keto friendly "McGriddle"



Before keto, I honestly rarely ate breakfast, I would generally drink something totally unhealthy, like a coke or red bull, and be on my way.  It wasn't that I wasn't hungry per say, but I am not a huge fan of breakfast foods, I can stand eggs if scrambled, well Beaten because egg whites make me gag, and bacon, while delicious as a flavoring for savory dishes, doesn't have a very good calorie to satiation ratio as a protein on its own.  My one weakness however, and the treat I usually got on pay day, was a McGriddle with egg and cheese.  Obviously this is not keto friendly, but damn the maple and egg and cheese, which shouldn't work, works so well.  This recipe uses a modified version of the Oopsie, or Revolution Roll, and surprisingly mimics the squishy McGriddle bun almost perfectly.

Ingredients:

2 Farmer John Maple Links, turned into a patty
2 eggs
1 tsp Sour cream
1/2 slice sharp cheddar cheese
1 oopsie bun, I added a dash of cinnamon to this bun, but its optional


This is a pretty simple recipe, but the way the flavors work really reminded me of the McGriddle.

Start by taking your 2 links, and smashing them into a patty shape. crisp up on both sides and drain on paper towels.

In a bowl crack your eggs and add you sour cream, whisk them briskly, but don't worry about lumps of sour cream, it will all combine once its on the heat.

Note: My grandmother used to mix in a small amount of cream cheese in her eggs, it made the eggs super rich and creamy, and not at all like you get them at most breakfast joints, this is probably why I don't care for eggs any other way, what can I say, she was making Ramsey eggs before Ramsey (I know he uses creme fraiche, but the results are even better IMO)

I made the oopsie rolls the night before, and unfortunately didn't take pictures, but suffice to say a normal one would work fine, however, for this particular roll, I added a dash of cinnamon, and while its not strong, it adds a subtle sweetness that adds to the McGriddle feel.

Put it all together and there you go. Best breakfast I have had since starting keto.

Breakfast o' Champions







No comments:

Post a Comment